Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Factory 2002 Supercharger on a 2001?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Factory 2002 Supercharger on a 2001?

I am considering adding a factory 2002 supercharger including intake, intercooler, fuel rails, injectors, throttle body, coil pack, wiring harness & all sensors. This is a new engine take-off. Is this a good idea and what else would I need to add this to my truck? High volume fuel pump? Different computer?

Thanks for any feedback or ideas you have on this.

4DRHOG - Fast is good!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just a thought...can the rest of your drive train (tranny, rearend, etc.) handle the additional power? Assuming, of course, that this operation is even feasible (I suspect it'll be more difficult than it seems)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good question, I assumed all Harley trucks are the same components. You know what they say about assuming. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This subject has come up before. It's not a bolt on job; there's alot involved. Do a search and see if you can find anything. I'm sure Ayrton or someone will be along to explain it in detail.
    2002 DSG Harley Davidson F-150 #1750 born on 3/20/02
    NHTOC #58
    2.77 upper, Metco 100mm Idler, Boost by-pass, Accufab TB, Phenolic Spacer, TR6's, FTVB and 4x4 pan, AFCO heat exchanger, Factory Tech tranny cooler, LFP oil seperator, Modified JLP ram air, Bassani 2 cat midpipe, Magnaflow L catback, Predator and dyno tune by James at RWTD, Ruslow slotted & dimpled rotors w/ hawk pads, L Bilstein shocks, Hellwig front & rear sway bars, Belltech 1" drop coils, 2" rear drop shackles, Hankook 295/45's, bedrug, snuglid, CF tails, autometer ultralite boost and tranny guages.
    Sold for '03 Cobra

2005 Seadoo RXP - Riva Stage 1
    Nowhere to be found;Katrina victim

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lightbulb think about the best way ???

you will see alots of days like this ;c ;c it is better find 2002 truck for a good price...you just may spend just the same money with less trouble....just my 2 cents
    BLESSED / 03 2TONE

Biker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Isnt this what HeyUvaVT just did? I know he put some kind of S/C on his 01.

*EDIT*...Oh yeah and cpharley too........

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have pretty much just finished doing this and you will need lots of parts. The supercharger assembly is the easy part. I got mine with all the same parts for about 1100 shipped, then spent probably another 2500-3500 in additional parts. I will name off a few parts you will need that I can remember off the top of my head:

-High volume Fuel Pump
    -NGK TR6 Spark plugs
    -Water pump (might as well get the cobra r since you have to replace it anyways)
    -L or HD fan shroud or I just got an E-fan from LFP.
    -Full Intake (I went with the AF1)
    -MAF
    -Idler pulley bracket and 3 idlers
    -Belt
    -Lower Pulley
    -Intercooler Pump with pigtail (you will have to custom wire this)
    -Alternator
    -Intercooler Reservoir and the plumbing (4 tubes)
    -Radiator Hose (stock one is too short)
    -rear heater hose (stock one goes to front instead of rear)
    -heat exchanger and bracket (will have to modify mounts)

Then, you will have to decide whether to go with a chip or computer. If you do a computer, you will have to buy the PCM harness too (which is currently what I need). Part is expensive, like $700. You have to realize that by going with a chip, you are still missing the IAT2, which could be detri****** to your engine at WOT.

You may also consider getting a different cat-back for better exhaust flow. I had already switched to true duals before-hand with the Bassani L catback.

I am sure I am forgetting something, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head. Don't expect to do this in a weekend. There are lots of little parts that you will figure out you need when you get to them. I started on mine back in early February and have only recently had it running and it still isn't perfect since I still need that harness. Job is doable, but not as easy as just mounting on top of the engine and being done. If you decide to do it and need help, send me a pm.
    NHTOC Gallery My FTW Gallery
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 #5531
    Performance: JLP Built Shortblock, Comp Cams & Valve Springs, Stage IV Steigy Ported Supercharger, LFP E-Fan, LFP Aux Idler Pulley Kit with additional billet idlers, AirforceOne full Intake kit, FTVB, Art Carr TC, Morosso Trans Pan, Predator Tuner, 8# Lower, JLP Competition R Exhaust, FT Tranny cooler, 255 fuel pumps, Canton Deep Oil pan w/ Windage tray.

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Oh yeah, forgot to add that the computer is pretty much out of the question if you don't already have a 4r100 tranny or plan to buy one. If you are not sure, then you should check that first. I wouldn't even recommend adding the supercharger if you don't have the 4r100. Hope is not lost, for lots of '01 owners including myself got the 4r100 as a towing package option. There is a code that specifies this in your driver's side door, I just can't remember what it is. You may just count your bolts in your transmission tray. If you have more than 17, most likely you have the 4r100.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would just get an 02-03 and forget it. Too much trouble to go through.

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally I don’t think it is worth the hassle and unless you can find all of the parts dirt cheap, it will cost less to just trade yours for a 2002-2003 model. You will spend an awful big chunk of change only to have an engine that has several limitations courtesy of Ford. (Rods, pistons, detonation)

My advice it to find either a 02 model or start building an engine from scratch.

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yeah, if you are paying on your own truck, you might as well buy a 2002 or 2003. I am not paying on mine, so I am only out of pocket what I put into the engine, not difference in value + payoff which would be substantially more than what I invested in supercharging. Plus, I have plans to either put in a built engine or buy a new truck in '05 (depending on if I am impressed be the harley or not) when my '01 will be paid off.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by cpharley
    I you will have to buy the PCM harness too (which is currently what I need). Part is expensive, like $700.
    You should be able to get a new wiring harness for about $500, but you may want to see what Josh can do for you.

BTW: Here is the part # 1L3Z-12A581-SA

Outta Sight...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if you arent going to go full bore ( IE built block or engine swap) then its prolly not worth it CP did a great job on his but when i weighed all the options (including sellin for an '03) i decided to go with the total JLP treatment (block and KB plus a factory tech monster box tranny and new rear) the cost is very prohibitive but in my case its worth the extra coin because of the built motor and KB its not like im spending the money and ending up with the power output of a stock 02 or 03 ill be a stealth 500+ HP HD but like i said its costing $$$$$ all up to you but if you just want the stock 02-03 blower then go with a trade/sell for a newer truck easier and u can get one with some warranty time left ;)

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Originally posted by Ayrton
    BTW: Here is the part # 1L3Z-12A581-SA
    You are a life saver. I have been hassling online parts stores for about two weeks now trying to get that part # (my local dealer is worthless when it comes to finding L or HD parts). One told me today that they need a tag # or something.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by cpharley
    You are a life saver. I have been hassling online parts stores for about two weeks now trying to get that part #
    Brother...check the list, always check the list.

THE LIST

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast